The XXVII edition of the Marketing Award, promoted by the Italian Marketing Society, is dedicated to quality agri-food production and challenges students across Italy to a task that is far from simple: how can we transform the high technical value of agri-food products with a Geographical Indication (PDO, PGI and TSG) into a value for the market?
The 2015 edition of the Marketing Award, realised with the support of Intesa San Paolo, benefits from the technical partnership of the Qualivita Foundation and the GN Research Institute. The initiative also boasts the patronage of the Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies and AICIG.
The Qualivita Foundation is a non-profit organization that was established in Siena in 2002, with the objective of promoting and valorizing the quality agri-food sector at international level, starting with Italian and European PDO, PGI and TSG FOOD & WINE products recognized by the European Union’s quality systems. Qualivita specialises in the realization of communication activities and content providers, consulting, project planning, research and training, all specifically targeted for the quality agri-food sector, and in particular to FOOD & WINE products with a geographical mark.
In this section, for the XXVII edition of the Marketing Award, the Qualivita Foundation provides the basic tools for learning about the system for Protected Designations of Origins and Geographical Indications. In order to make it possible to learn about the system gradually, yet thoroughly, there are four sections that allow you to look at the Geographical Indications system from three viewpoints: legislative, economic and informative.
PART 1 – EUROPEAN REGULATIONS: FROM 1922 TO DATE
Below you can download, in Italian, the European regulations that marked the birth of GIs and the current legislation that regulates the sector.
THE FIRST REGULATIONS FOR THE SECTOR:
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EEC) NO 2081/1992
THE PROTECTION OF GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS AND DESIGNATIONS OF ORIGIN FOR AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS AND FOODSTUFFS.
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EEC) NO 2082/92
CERTIFICATES OF SPECIFIC CHARACTER FOR AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS AND FOODSTUFFS
2006 REGULATORY UPDATES:
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) NO 509/2006
AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS AND FOODSTUFFS AS TRADITIONAL SPECIALITIES GUARANTEED.
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) NO 510/2006
PROTECTION OF GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS AND DESIGNATIONS OF ORIGIN FOR AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS AND FOODSTUFFS.
THE “QUALITY PACKAGE” 2010
- PROPOSED QUALITY SYSTEM REGULATIONS – THE FOUR PROPOSALS FOR THE QUALITY SYSTEM THAT LED TO THE CURRENT REGULATIONS.
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EU) NO 1151/2012
FOOD QUALITY SCHEMES FOR AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS AND FOODSTUFFS.
- COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) NO 665/2014
FOOD – SUPPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) NO 1151/2012 – CONDITIONS OF USE OF THE OPTIONAL QUALITY TERM ‘MOUNTAIN PRODUCT’.
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EU) NO 479/2008
WINE – COMMON ORGANISATION OF THE MARKET IN WINE.
- COUNCIL REGULATION (EU) NO 1308/2013
ESTABLISHING A COMMON ORGANISATION OF THE MARKETS IN AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS (CMO)
PART 2 – PUBLIC EU AND ITALIAN DATABASES
All the links to the most important European and national information databases regarding PDO and PGI food and wine products.
- PRESENTATION OF THE QUALITY POLICY: Page of the EU Agriculture Committee, in English, dedicated to quality policies. It contains all the legislative references, studies and research on the subject, as well as information material.
- DOOR: database of agricultural and agri-food products with a Geographical Indication (PDO, PGI, TSG).
- E-BACCHUS: database of wine geographical indications.
- EUR-Lex: A European Union website that provides free direct access to European Union law and the Official Journal of the European Union, official compendium for all documents concerning the regulations for Geographical Indications.
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURAL, FOOD AND FORESTRY POLICIES
- PDO AND PGI PRODUCTS: MIPAAF’s thematic section on national PDOs and PGIs, and the operation of certified supply chains.
- CONTROL SYSTEMS: an overview of the bodies responsible for verification, control and sanctioning; countering the phenomenon of counterfeiting.
ITALIAN SECTORIAL STAKEHOLDERS
- LIST OF PROTECTION CONSORTIA: the list of protection Consortia for PDO and PGI products, up-dated to 03/10/2014, taken from the MIPAAF website.
- AICIG: website of the Italian Association of Geographical Indication Consortia.
- FEDERDOC: website of the National Confederation of Voluntary Consortia for the Protection of the Designations of Italian Wines.
PART 3 – QUALIVITA DATABASE
The Qualivita product database is the first to offer a complete overview of PDO, PGI and TSG productions, in an in-depth and educational format.
PART 4 – L’ OSSERVATORIO QUALIVITA-ISMEA
This section contains all the material from the Qualivita-Ismea XII Report, presented on December 17th 2014. The report contains the analysis and interpretation of the most significant socioeconomic phenomena in the Italian agri-food sector of certified quality PDO, PGI and TSG products, based on data collected in 2013.